Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mark I Computer


The Mark I Computer
 
Howard Hathaway Aiken with his colleagues at Harvard, and with some assistance from International Business Machines, by 1944 had built the Mark I, the world's first program-controlled calculator; an early form of a digital computer, it was controlled by both mechanical and electrical devices. Although he went on to build other computers, they would soon be made obsolete by more advanced electronics.


Definition: The Mark I, was the world's first program-controlled calculator; an early form of a digital computer, it was controlled by both mechanical and electrical devices.
Inventor: Howard Hathaway Aiken  
Criteria; Modern prototype.
Birth: March 8, 1900 in Hoboken, New Jersey
Death: March 14, 1973 in St. Louis, Missouri
Nationality: American
Invention: Mark I Computer  
Function: noun / early computer

No comments: